Saturday, April 2, 2011

Crock Pot Corned Beef | Slow Cooker Beef | Slow Cooker Corned Beef

I use my slow cooker almost everyday, so I was surprised to learn that many people only use their slow cookers to cook slow cooker corned beef.  Having said that, the slow cooker does take the stress out watching a pot on the stove - something that is just not possible for cooks these days, and it does a wonderful job of making the most tender and delicious meat!  (In fact, if you are away all day, you can just put in on in the morning on low, and just turn it off when you get home.  The longer it cooks for, the more tender the meat!)

I find my round 3 litre slow cooker can take up to a 2.5kg piece of corned beef, so long as it is a cube, rather than a rectangle.  This is my favorite crock pot corned beef recipe.

Crock Pot Corned Beef | Slow Cooker Beef

Serves 6-8
Cook on low for 6-8 hours (or longer if necessary)

1.5kg (3-1/2 lb) piece of corned beef
1 heaped tsp ground ginger
6 whole cloves
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp brown or raw sugar
enough water to cover or almost cover the meat

Add the ingredients in the order listed and turn the slow cooker on to low for 6-8 hours or until the meat thermometer reads 77F of 170C.

The meat can be left to cook for longer without any problem, however, the more tender the meat is, the more difficult a task the meat carver has, as the tender meat just melts under the knife - but in our house, we think that is a good thing! :)

Previous Post: Curried Apple Soup | Curried Apple Soup | Slow Cooker Soup Recipe

Find more slow cooker recipes for Kiwis (and other cooks who use metric measurements) here at... Slow Cooker Recipes NZ - and check this out - the easiest way to see all my Slow Cooker Recipes!

2 comments:

  1. Every time I put corned beef into my crockpot, I dash for the recipe books to see what to put in with it... why I can't remember beats me, but I think i've been making it too complicated for myself. This recipe was perfect & one i'll stick to from now on. Your blog is a wee gem & better than any Crockpot book I've ever purchased. Thanks Sharon :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you cook from frozen? or is it best to thaw over night?

    ReplyDelete